Tuesday 11 July 2017

Weekend's workshop ......

Happy Tuesday ........

We've got a bit of a grey, start this morning.  I was supposed to be meeting a friend for coffee later but we've decided to give it a miss ...... not much fun in the rain!
It means I can spend some time in the old craft room, playing ... ooops! I mean working with, some new designs from Sweet Poppy Stencils.
Watch this space because our Lucy is back on the TV soon with some gorgeous new stencils, maybe a few festive designs in there too.  Great if you want to make a start on all those Christmas cards ..... did I say the 'C' word out loud ..... sorry!!

It also means I have time to share last weekend's workshop with you too.  We had a fab day playing with patterned papers ..... I believe they all went home inspired, grabbed their mountains of papers and made even more cards ...... I love it!!

Once upon a time I always used patterned papers, for backgrounds, matting and layering, fancy folds etc., etc. ..... how times change.  I still buy them occasionally, but they very rarely see the light of day!  Shame really because there's some gorgeous designs.

Anyway, we had fun paper piecing .......


CAS designs using up those scraps of paper that we just can't throw away because we might need them!


It's also a great technique for adding colour to your stamped images .....



EDITED ......
After a little nudge from the lovely Di .... from Pixie's Crafty Workshop (thanks hun), I'm linking this little guy up to the latest Snippets Challenge.  Well it is only snippets of paper used to paper piece him and the balloon.



Back to the cards ......You don't need to paper piece the whole thing ..... just focus on one section of the image



Use the same paper to add a little more detail to your designs .....


A simple strip across the bottom, highlighted with a little gilding flakes makes all the difference.

We used pretty papers to make really simple, yet stunning cards.  Here's the same design using the same paper in two different ways ..... love how these turned out.  The paper is from a 6x6 pad called Roses All Over from My Favourite Things ...... it's gorgeous, some of the ladies loved it too.


I used one of the CUTplorations Stitched Snow Hills dies to cut the curved edge, but it could quite easily be done free hand with scissors


A simple stamped greeting along the edge and you're done.  And if you use clear stamps you can even shape them to follow the curve .......


We used punches with patterned papers to create this pretty floral design ......


I came across this idea on Pinterest a while ago but unfortunately I can't seem to find the blog that it was on originally.  I think it's been closed for a few years ..... Two Peas in a Bucket or something like that I think it was. Anyway, this is my version ......

I used a large circle punch and cut seven circles from various pieces of patterned paper.  Then using the same punch I cut two petals from each circle .......


Simply turn the punch upside down and insert the edge of a paper circle until you see a petal shape. Make two marks where the edge of the paper is and then cut


Turn the paper circle around and cut the same shape again. The two marks will show where the edge of your paper needs to be for all your petals to be the same size .... roughly.  Use different sizes of circle punches to make different sized petals.

Arrange the petals into a flower and add another circle to the centre .....


You can see I finished off with a bit of faux stitching around the edges .....


Last but not least ..... it was a busy workshop ..... we did a little bit of alteration.  Changing the look of some of those less favourite of our papers.


We don't always fall in love with all the papers from a particular collection or paper pad.  There's the odd one that's too dark, or we don't like the colour or the design ..... well, don't throw it away, change it.  Stamp onto it ......


A bit of white embossing with a pretty lacy design works wonders ...... or try a bit of rubber stamping with a dark ink .....


Add a few more elements like a bit of twine, a few drops of liquid pearls here and there


or even a bit more stamping ..... I've added a butterfly that's been stamped on patterned paper and fussy cut and then stamped my greeting on a separate piece of card and attached with foam pads.

Phew! what a lot of pictures.  Well done if you're still with me ...... I think I need a coffee now!

I hope I've given you some ideas on what to do with those gorgeous patterned papers that I know you have in your craft stash..... even the little pieces.  Have fun!

Thanks for popping by .... I hope the weather's a little nicer where you are.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheerio until next time .......

10 comments:

!neke said...

Just beautiful cards !
Love the tag with the embossed lace !!!!!

Ineke XX

Darnell said...

I love these posts, Linda, and always bookmark them because you give us such an abundance of wonderful design ideas! I am totally loving that bird paper-pieced and know that one is going to be CASEd soon!! Thank you!! Hugs, Darnell

nancy littrell said...

OMG, Linda. Every single card is so beautiful and DSP creative!!! I loved them all and even inspired to get out some of my mounds of paper. TFS my friend. Hugs

Mrs.B said...

I must admit I have a hoard of paper and never seen to use it - great cards, no wonder your ladies enjoyed the class.
Avril xx

Di said...

Linda - this is a snippets make! Why not come and play?! x

Di said...

Lovely cards and am so happy you linked in! Hooray - and the doughnuts are hidden behind the bike shed!

Hugs

Di xx

Claire said...

What lovely creations, I think the bird one with his balloon is really fab but they all are x

KandA said...

I got a nudge from Miss Di over at the Playground to come over and say 'hello' and have a closer look at your fabulous snippets make. I'm so glad I did as I'm loving all these wonderful ideas - I have quite a few of those papers that I'm not so keen on but just can't bear to throw out so I'll be looking at them with fresh eyes now... and you never know they may actually get used up! Thanks for the super inspiration xx

Jenny L said...

Hi Linda,
what brilliant cards and their designs are super gorgeous, and wonderfully created.
Welcome to the Pixies Snippets Playground.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Barb said...

A lovely selection of cards Linda. You've given some super ideas for using up some of the papers we all seem to collect so much of. I love your paper pieced crazy bird. Barbxx